Zoom’s latest update is literally pretty wild. Users can now attend classes or meetings like an animal using a new avatar feature that makes your facial expressions look infinitely cuter.
Available as a free beta feature in Zoom version 5.10, these avatars put a Memoji-esque twist on video chatting. There are currently 11 different animal avatars such as panda, raccoon and rabbit to name a few. In a blog post announcing the Avatars featureZoom said new avatar options would come “in the future.”
While the animals may seem a little childish, they can be useful for virtual learning or, better yet, for storytelling. Using an avatar can also help with Zoom fatigue, perhaps encouraging users to turn on their camera and reveal facial expressions as they speak, even if they might not look as presentable as they’d like for a phone call. Because sometimes you just don’t have the time (or energy) to put on makeup or shave your scruff. And while Zoom Escaper is genius in theory, it’s usually not cool to pass up a meeting altogether.
Avatars are the most recent tool for users to shake up an average video chat. If you know how to use Zoom, you may know how to change your Zoom background. You may have even downloaded one of the best free Zoom wallpapers. You can even combine a virtual background with an animal avatar to place your character in a more appropriate place, such as a bamboo forest or a dog park.
To follow santosfutebolarte on TikTok to see Zoom avatars in action and follow the steps below to learn how to use them yourself.
How to use Zoom animal avatars
1. Update to Zoom 5.10 if you haven’t already. You may be prompted to update the client or app when you open it, or you can get the update manually at Zoom’s Download Center†
2. Start or join a Zoom meeting. See how to set up a Zoom meeting and join a Zoom meeting if needed.
3. Click the up arrow next to Start/Stop Video. You must have your camera on to use animal avatars.
3. Click “Choose Video Filter” from the pop-up menu.
4. Click the ‘Avatars’ tab in the Background and Effects settings window.
5. Choose your animal avatar. Loading may take a few seconds. It helps if you have good lighting.
And now you know how to use Zoom avatars to turn yourself into a cute animal for your next meeting. For more fun Zoom features, see our guide on how to do karaoke on Zoom and how to get Snapchat filters on Zoom.