If you have favorite pots and pans or stainless steel appliances, you need to know how to clean stainless steel to keep its shine. We all love that new shine of stainless steel that seems to make our kitchen sparkle. But over time, it can look dingy, with spills, smudges and unsightly fingerprints. So you need to know how to clean stainless steel quickly to keep it stain free and restore its shine.
In addition, you should know how to clean stainless steel carefully to avoid damaging or scratching the surface. A general rule of thumb is to avoid harsh cleaners, especially those containing chloride and other chemicals. Also, never use steel wool or scouring pads, as they can scratch.
The good news is that cleaning stainless steel is not as difficult as it sounds. In fact, this can be done easily using mild household cleaners that you normally find in your kitchen cabinets.
So if you want to make your stainless steel shine, follow these simple steps to get your appliances looking like new again.
See how to clean jewelry to bring back sparkle, and how to clean silver to restore shine. You can also check out these 9 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Clean With a Lemon.
How to clean stainless steel with detergent and water?
What you need
washing up liquid
Distilled white vinegar
– First, mix 1 teaspoon of dish soap to 1 liter of warm water.
– Next one, dip a microfibre cloth or sponge in the soap solution before wiping the stainless steel surface. Remember to wipe along the grain of the metal (one direction) as this will reduce water spots.
— Finally, rinse with warm water and dry well with a separate microfibre cloth or paper towel. We can buy these Microfiber Cleaning Cloths ($9, Amazon) that are lint-free.
2. How to clean stainless steel with baking soda?
– Start on mixing baking soda and warm water to form a paste. This is especially effective on stubborn stains or greasy smudges.
– Next one, dip one corner of a microfibre cloth into the paste before rubbing gently on the surface, and along the stainless steel grit.
— Swipe remove the baking soda residue with a damp microfibre cloth before drying completely with a paper towel. We recommend Arm & Hammer Baking Soda-4LB ($12, Amazon) to tackle your cleaning tasks.
3. How to clean stainless steel with white vinegar and olive oil?
– To add distilled white vinegar in an empty spray bottle and apply immediately on your stainless steel surface. We recommend Lucy’s Family Owned – Natural Distilled White Vinegar, 1 Gallon ($15, Amazon) for your cleaning tasks.
– Carefully rub the surface with a microfibre cloth to remove any stains or marks, before rinsing and wiping the vinegar with a clean cloth.
– Than, rub in a small amount of olive oil in the area and work into the metal grain to avoid streaking. This will help restore a glossy finish. However, if you don’t have olive oil, baby oil is another good alternative.
How to clean stainless steel cutlery?
Over time, our stainless steel flatware can look tarnished. The best way to clean stainless steel cutlery is to mix about eight parts hot water with one part white vinegar in a wash bowl. Soak your cutlery in the bowl for 5-10 minutes to allow the solution to work on removing stains. Then rinse the cutlery thoroughly with a clean microfibre cloth before drying.
If all else fails, you can purchase a specialty cleaner such as Therapy Stainless Steel Cleaner Kit ($16. Amazon) which removes grease, residue and watermarks.
For more top tips for making things shine again, you may also want to read how to clean jewelry and how to clean silver.