If you’re always in the kitchen cooking delicious meals, then you need to know how to freshen up a smelly oven.
It is not uncommon for our ovens to develop unpleasant odors and odors over time, especially if you use them on a daily basis. Bad odors are usually caused by a buildup of grease, spilled oil or charred food particles that may have fallen off your baking sheets. And although you should also know how do you clean your oven? often lingering odors can often be unpleasant, especially if you have guests around!
The good news is that you can easily get rid of bad odors with a few common household items. Best of all, this will save you the hassle and money of buying more cleaning products to dirty your cabinets. So, whether it’s burnt food or fishy seafood, here’s how to freshen up a smelly oven to remove odors.
You can also check out if I used a smart oven to host a dinner party — here’s how it went if you’re looking to upgrade, or if you’re in the market for a new gas stove, check out the best gas stoves here.
Freshen up a smelly oven with baking soda and vinegar?
What you need
Distilled white vinegar
Lemons or orange peels
Steel wool sponge
1. First, sprinkle a cup of baking soda over it in the bottom of the oven to clean your oven. Than, fill a spray bottle with two cups of white vinegar to create a non-toxic, cleaning solution.
2. Next one, spray the white vinegar on the baking soda to make a paste† Spread the paste over the sides of the oven and let the solution sit for 20 minutes. Than, scrub the oven with the steel wool sponge thoroughly before wiping with a clean cloth.
4. Pour white vinegar into an ovenproof bowl and place on the lowest rack in the oven. Heat the oven on a low setting or about 200 degrees, and let the water boil for about an hour. If you have a self-cleaning mode, you can also use this setting. The vinegar will evaporate and absorb any bad odors from your oven.
Freshen up a smelly oven with fresh lemon and water?
1. Lemons and oranges are a great way to naturally freshen up a stinky oven. Fill an ovenproof dish first with an inch of water.
2. Next one, cut two or three lemons in half and place the slices in the bowl. You can do the same process with oranges, but just use the orange peel instead of fruits.
3. Preheat the oven to 120 degrees F and place the bowl on the rack to cook for about an hour. This should naturally detoxify the air and remove any bad odors
Freshen up a smelly oven with vanilla extract and water
1. Fill an ovenproof dish first with an inch of water before add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to it.
2. Next one, put the dish in the oven and heat for more than an hour on a setting of 350 degrees F. This will make your oven smell fresh and fragrant.
How do you get rid of cooking smells?
If you don’t want the smell of fried foods or cooking oil to linger in your home, here are some tricks you can do to get rid of cooking smells in your home.
1. Leave a small bowl or pitcher of vinegar on your counter overnight. Similarly, you can open a box of baking soda and let it sit overnight. These will help absorb lingering odors.
2. Light a scented candle or incense sticks while cooking. Scents such as citrus or spices help eliminate strong cooking odors. In addition, your home will smell wonderful and fragrant.
3. Although it may seem noisy, you can cook with the hood on to remove strong odors. Especially if you fry food on your stovetop.