YouTube’s picture-in-picture mode was just removed from the iOS version of the app, but the good news is that it’s coming back soon.
The PiP mode, which was previously an experimental perk for YouTube Premium, will now be available to all iOS 15 users in the coming days. The Team YouTube account explained that a user asked about the missing feature. Not only is PiP coming back, it will now be available to all users, whether they pay for ad-free YouTube or not.
Do you use an iOS smartphone? If so, the Picture-in-Picture feature is still rolling out and will be available on all iOS 15+ devices in a few days. Tweet back @ us if needed.Apr 10, 2022
Existing YouTube PiP users (myself included) may have forgotten that the feature was intended to be a limited trial, despite that trial lasting nine months. However, the abrupt disappearance of the feature (including from the YouTube labs page where you had to enable it) was a bit of a shock, so it’s good to clear up the tweet from YouTube.
However, Android users can just sit back. As you can see from our guide to using YouTube Picture-in-Picture mode, the Picture-in-Picture option for Android phones is much easier to enable and is already available to anyone with Android 8 or higher. , whether you have YouTube Premium or not.
As it stands, only one iPhone-using TG employee currently has the option available, while the rest of us (including YouTube Premium subscribers) have now lost the option. Hopefully, YouTube will keep its promise and bring the feature to all users and back to those who had it before in the near future. For now, here’s how to enable the feature if you have it.
How to Enable YouTube Picture-in-Picture on iOS
Follow these instructions if you want to enable or disable the mini player for YouTube on your iPhone. If these don’t work for you, your app probably hasn’t been updated yet. See if there’s an update available in the App Store now, or wait a day or two to see if it rolls out to your phone automatically.
1. Tap your user icon in the top right corner of the app, then select Settings
2. Now select the General column
3. If the option is available to you, you can select the Photo in photo mode on.
4. To use the feature, exit the YouTube app by swiping up from the bottom of your screen or pressing the home button while playing a video.
5. You can resize the player by pinching it. There are three sizes available, with the largest taking up the entire width of your screen.
6. If you want to remove the player, you can swipe it left or right to minimize it. Tap the arrow icon whenever you want it back.